Our Family

Our Family

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The Up Country vs. The Low Country

Having lived in the Up Country all my life, it has been a change for me to move to the Low Country. Kevin and I dated for 4 years before we were married. During those 4 years we spent many miles, hours, and gas traveling up and down the road to visit one another. It was a 3 hour trip, we could make it in about 2 1/2 hours, as long as the traffic was moving along well. So, I was used to things down here, but it still has been different. Some things that I miss about the Up Country are the mountains, cooler temperatures, and my family. At home I could drive down my back street and see the mountains. Just about anywhere I went, you would get a view of the mountains. Here all you see is pine trees, fields, and straight roads. However, I do greatly enjoy the slower pace of things down here. In Greenville, everyone is always in such a rush to go places and people do not have any patience. Here, people take their time and really seem to appreciate life and the little things that make our life special. Also, a big plus is that I am now only 2 hours from several beaches, whereas before it would take me about 4 to 5 hours to get to the closest beach, which was Charleston or Myrtle. Here we can go to Edisto, Hilton Head, Charleston, or Myrtle in about 2 hours or 2 1/2 hours. Also, there sure are a lot more Carolina flags around here, vs. Clemson. I get tired of all this red. People need to brighten up their life with a punch of orange. I have enjoyed living on a farm. It's so peaceful in the mornings and I wish I could sit on our back porch swing for hours, instead of rushing off to school. Even though I miss my family and the other pleasures that the Up Country has, I am very fastly becoming a Low Country Gal.

No comments: