Our Family

Our Family

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

It Snowed!




Well, it did snow today, all day in fact, but it didn't stick! I was so mad! This morning on my way to school it started snowing and by the time I got to school it was really coming down and it was sticking to the hood of my car. Well, I thought surely it is cold enough to stick and by 10:00 we would get to go home from school early. Well.....at 9:45 I was taking my kids to P.E., and the snow had stopped and the sun looked like it was trying to come out. Then, at 12:00 we were going outside for recess, and I noticed that it was snowing again. We stayed outside for about 15 minutes. During those 15 minutes it really started snowing hard.

Side note: Two weeks ago we were talking about biographies in class. I read my kids the book Snowflake Bentley by Jacqueline Briggs Martin. The book is about a boy that loved snow. When he got older he wanted to photograph snow, to share his love of snow and snowflakes with the world. He finally figured out how to do this. He found out that not any two snowflakes were alike. So, at recess, as the snowflakes were landing on my kids' sleeve of their jackets, they were studying the design of the snowflakes. Some were big, others small, some looked like stars, others looked like flowers. They were amazed! Which I loved the fact that they were able to make a connection like this. Here's a website where you can read more about Wilson "Snowflake" Bentley and see some of his actual photographs of snowflakes. http://snowflakebentley.com/

So, while we were at lunch, you could see the snow really falling. I thought, now surely it will stick this time and we will get an early dismissal. Nope! By 2:00 it had slowed down again. I left school around 3:15 and it was still snowing some. I headed to Wal-Mart, had some quick things to pick up, and the closer I got to Wal-Mart, which is in Barnwell and about 15 minutes away from school, the snow was picking up again. But, I was sadden once again, because once I got home, you could easily count the flakes that were coming down. A big disappointment today. If it had of stuck, we would have of had at least 1 to 2 inches of snow. It would have of been enough to cover the ground and maybe get us a 2 hour delay for school in the morning. But keep your figures crossed and maybe very soon it will snow again, and this time stick!

No comments: