Our Family

Our Family

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

CATastrophe



I was waiting to blog about the most recent happenings until I knew what the ending was going to be. Thankfully it turned out to be a happy one and everyone was relieved when it was over. It all began this past Saturday morning at 10 am. My mom took Evie to get her yearly shots. We have always taken our cats to the Pet Mobiles to get shots, because it soooo much cheaper than taking them to the vet. The vet wanted to give Evie her shots in her hip. My mom told him that they always gave her the shots in her shoulder, but he insisted. So, my mom took Evie out, she got her shots, and as she was halfway into the cage, when the unthinkable happened...........the big, yellow lab behind my mom, accidentally bumped into her, but hard enough that she wobbled, the carrier wobbled, and Evie went flying off into the woods. The Pet Mobile was parked at Fairview Baptist Church which is about 5 minutes, 1-2 miles from home. Thankfully Evie headed into the woods and not the street. The street that runs in front of the church is super busy, she wouldn't have had a chance to make it across. So my mom goes running after Evie. She calls my dad to come help her. A few of the people in line start to help look for her. They finally found her, but she wouldn't come to them. She was traumatized by what had happened. (Plus she doesn't like getting shots, but who does?) Two hours later they still don't have Evie. The woods were so thick, that it was hard to get through them. My parents make their way back to the cars and discover that while they were looking for Evie, someone had stolen the cat carrier! Imagine, everyone saw the cat run away, know the owners are looking for her, know that she will need the carrier when the cat is found and they take it! They head home and in a few hours go back up there, still no Evie. My parents went up there 4 times on Saturday and came home empty handed. Evie was so scared and just wouldn't come to them. Sunday, same routine and still no Evie. They took food and water to her. She would come out, but not come to them. Monday morning, my dad goes by himself because my mom was a work. Evie comes right to him, gets in his lap, just as calm as she can be. My dad stands up and carries her out of the woods and is headed towards the truck. Then..............another cat goes across their path, Evie hisses, and her legs start going everywhere and off to the woods she goes again! (Now, I have been holding Evie before and she has gotten scared and there is just no way in this world you can hold on to her.) When my mom gets off work, they go up there again and still come home without Evie. Tuesday-today- at 10 til 7:00am my parents go up there. My dad takes Evie big cage that she sleeps in and waits at the end of the woods. My mom goes in by herself. Evie didn't come right away, but finally she came out. She starts to eat and my mom reaches down and grabs her. When she gets to my dad Evie is starting to try to get down, and my dad grabs her and puts her in the cage and they take her home. Finally, Evie is safe at home where she belongs. My mom says that next year, Evie will go to the regular vet where she will be enclosed in a room. Lesson Learned: Make sure you have a leash on your dog or cat and if you have to leave to chase your pet, don't leave anything behind.

1 comment:

Tori said...

I laughed histerically just imagining your parents!!!