Our Family

Our Family

Sunday, August 12, 2012

1st Dentist Visit

So, last weekend, on Saturday, we had our first ER trip with Madalyn. She is doing perfectly fine since then and is going at full speed (which leads to our next minor emergency). (This past week I had to go to some training for how to help mentor new teachers, so Kevin's mom, Mrs. Katie kept Madalyn Tuesday-Friday.) Thursday I text Mrs. Katie on my lunch break to see how Madalyn was doing.  She was fine. The next thing I know, Mrs. Katie is calling me to tell me that Madalyn was running in the house and hit the piano bench with her mouth and has chipped off part of her front two top teeth. I was very shocked to hear that because it was just like a few minutes after the text of everything is fine. Things happen so fast. Kevin was there with her and she was fine and wasn't bleeding much at all. They got an appointment with a pediatrician dentist in Aiken, and Kevin and Madalyn came to pick me up at school.  As soon as I saw Madalyn, and saw exactly what damage had been done I was fine. (Kevin and Mrs. Katie on the other hand, took a lot longer to calm down than me. I guess it's because I wasn't there when the accident happended.) It's really not bad at all and I don't think unless you know to look for it, most people won't notice it. We were both pleased with the dentist.  He said that as of right now, there's nothing we can do. When she gets to be 4 years old, if she still has these two teeth, he can file them down and put a cap on them. We have to go back in 8 weeks for a check up. He said the teeth could be fine, they could turn dark and stay dark, (which means the inside of the tooth is hemorrhaging, they could turn dark and then turn back white, they could have to be pulled early, they could fall out early on their own, etc. there were a lot of "IF's" that could happen. The good thing is that the nerves are not exposed so she doesn't have any sensitivity and they are just her baby teeth. Of course, after knowing Madalyn was fine, the first thought in my head was pictures and her being made fun of due to the teeth, but that was before I saw that it wasn't that bad. It hasn't slowed her down one bit, but the rest of us are trying to slow her down some and really be careful of her mouth.  Thankfully, it wasn't any worse. So, in 5 days we had two minor emergencies, (our first minor emergencies too, so I think we did good to make it to 16 1/2 months old) but I told Madalyn she was allowed no more. We can only pray and hope she listens. :0)


Madalyn's first pictures since her "tooth" accident.

Such a happy girl! Nothing gets her down for long.

It's weird how they broke in the same place on each tooth. But I think that makes them look better, not as noticeable.


No comments: