Our Family

Our Family

Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Alexis Ann McCormick's Birth Story

Tuesday, January 6, 2015, Kevin and I welcomed our second baby girl, Alexis Ann McCormick. It's been a busy week since then and she's already a week old! Here's her birth story:

We got to University Hospital in Augusta, GA at 8:00am Tuesday, January 6th.  We walked in and checked into the front desk. One of the ladies standing there asked me if I was ready for my make over today. I said "yes, how much do you think I will lose today". She said, "oh about 7 or 8 pounds.". (We found later on that she was right on the money.) I was having a scheduled c-section and it was so nice this time to not have to be in a rush to the hospital and to walk in calmly. However, I had noticed during the night that I was starting to have contractions and by the time we had reached the hospital they were coming closer together. I didn't tell Kevin until we were on the way to the hospital because we were going anyway and until my water broke, what would be the hurry. I told the nurse when she took me back to the Prep room that I was having contractions. My scheduled time for the OR was 10:25 am, but at 9:00 am, my water broke in the Prep room. My doctor and the nurses were so surprised that my water broke because they said that it's very rare for a scheduled c-section to have their water break. But leave it to me to do that. :0) So, both my girls broke their own water, which I'm glad because it meant that was definitely the day they were ready to come. Since my water broke, they got me back to the OR room around 9:30 am and Miss Alexis was born at 10:24 am.  The baby nurse for the OR, her name was Connie, she took the camera from Kevin and got so many wonderful pictures that we didn't have a chance to get with Madalyn.  Things were so different than the emergency situation with Madalyn and it was nice.  We came home Friday, January 9th from the hospital and Alexis is doing good. She doesn't sleep too well from the hours of 12 am to 6 am, but each night gets a little better. She had her newborn check up yesterday and the doctor was pleased with her and said all was good. She had lost some weight, she weighed 7 pounds 6 oz.  I am doing much better this time than I did last with recovering from a c-section , but still having pain on my right side and a good bit of pulling when I move. My neck has also been really hurting me since I came home. Each day gets a little better.  You forget what it's like having  a newborn, no sleep at night. But hopefully, we can soon get her on a better schedule at night. She acts like she's hungry and once you feed her, she will go to sleep, but as soon as you lay her down, she's awake again, wanting to eat.  During the day, she sleeps like a champ. So, my goal to start today is to try to keep her awake more so she will sleep better at night.

Alexis' Birth Story
It's time for me to go to the OR.

Kevin is getting ready to be a daddy for the second time.


We are ready to be parents again. 

She's here! I could feel all this tugging and pressure and then a sudden release of pressure. I asked Kevin if she was out yet, he said no not yet, but then the next thing we heard was her crying.


Our baby girl





I think this picture is so funny...because it shows the grandparents all trying to take a picture of Alexis on their phones.

My parents and Kevin's mom.

Kevin ringing the "birth" door bell before entering the nursery.

She weighed 7 pounds and 15 ounces...just almost 8 pounds. 
Me being on bed rest allowed her two weeks to really pack on the pounds.

She was 21 1/4 inches long.

We were so surprised at her dark hair and how much she had. It may not look like much but compared to Madalyn who didn't have much hair and her hair was reddish blonde, it was a surprise. We were also surprised at her size, but she was born at 39 weeks and Madalyn came at 38 weeks.


Madalyn is ready to meet her little sister.

Madalyn and Alexis meeting for the first time.

Pop and Meme with Alexis

Nana and G-Dad with Alexis




First picture with her eyes open.

Pictures from our days in the hospital




She's already got Daddy wrapped around her finger.



Sweet baby girl

Aunt Tori and Alexis

On our way home.


It was quite the journey home (thankfully Alexis slept the whole way), but we finally got there.


3 Generations: Kevin, Madalyn, Grandma Thelma, and Alexis

Alexis (Jan.6th ) and Kinsley (Dec. 15th) meeting for the first time. Cousins- 3 weeks apart.

Sisters
Madalyn is doing pretty well. She didn't pay much attention to her in the hospital, but she has more at home. She's not all over her, but she helps hands me stuff, she will talk to Alexis, and she doesn't like it when she cries. She wants me to help her feel better when she cries. 

Alexis decided to show out when we got home and broke out in what the doctor called "newborn rash".




So everyone has their opinion to who Alexis looks like. At first everyone said Kevin because she was swollen when she first came out and the way they wrapped her up, all you could see was her chubby cheeks. And most people are still saying Kevin. But to Kevin and myself, we see Madalyn. 

Madalyn

Madalyn

Alexis













2 comments:

Katie said...

Congratulations on your new daughter! I've been checking your blog for an update. Hopefully everyone settles in nicely.

Jill P. McCormick said...

Thank you Katie!