Our Family

Our Family

Sunday, December 14, 2008

Christmas Light for Dark Days

Today at church, our pastor spoke about "Christmas Light for Dark Days". (Isaiah 9:2-7). He said somethings today that I haven't ever thought about before that I wanted to share with you. December 21st has always been a special day to me, because it's my dads birthday. (which is coming up next weekend). But December 21st is also the first day of winter or it is sometimes called the "winter solace". Last year, Kevin proposed on Dec.20th and we got married June 21st so we almost got engaged on the first day of winter and married on the first day of summer, which we thought was kind of cool. Anyway, Dec.21st is the darkest and longest night of the year. Which our pastor pointed out how Christmas comes just a few days after the darkest night or day of the year. Christ was born to be the light of the world, he gives us our hope. Even as Christians, we have many dark days. But Christ is our light that we are to look too. Here are just a few verses that you can look up where the word light is mentioned:

*Genesis 1:3
*2 Samuel 22:29
*Psalms 27:1
*Psalms 119:105
*Isaiah 9:2
*Matthew 5:16
*John 8:12
*2 Corinthians 4:6
*1 John 1:5

Here is a quote that I saw once in college and I liked it so much that I use to keep it written down on an index card and I had it posted in my room. Now I have it written in my Bible.

"I believe in Christ as I believe that the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything."
-C.S. Lewis

No comments: