Our Family

Our Family

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Veteran's Day



Today is Veteran's Day and for the first time in my school history, we are out of school. Normally on Veteran's Day we have a special program and invited Veteran's to come to the school so we can honor them. Last year at Kelly Edwards, we had a special program and Veteran's came to the school and we were able to show our appreciation for all they have done. My last year at Brushy Creek, I actually had one of my student's dads to come in and speak to the class. He was at home on leave from Germany. (I have enjoyed my day off , especially with the weather as bad as it is. I have been able to clean my house, go to the grocery store, and work on school work) With all that aside, ....my Papa lives next door to Taylors Elementary School. He was asked by the principal to come up to the school to eat lunch. Then tonight, Applebees had a special today, if you were a veteran or still active you could get a free entree at lunch or dinner. My mom was going to go with my dad (he served in the national guard) and my Papa (who severed in WWII and followed Paton, hit Normandy, and was 1 of 3 out of his crew to survive on that beach).



I just wanted to say "Thank You" to all the men and women that have served and are still serving in all branches of the military. Without you we wouldn't be free to live the way we do. I try hard to make my students understand the sacrifice that you have paid, but it's hard for me to understand it all that you have had to give up for our country.

I tried to post the music video of Toby Keith's "American Soldier" but it wouldn't allow me to play it from my blog. So here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qUzrueLin4 I think this song and video really reaches the the heart of an American soldier. Thanks for all you have done and still are doing. You pay the ultimate sacrifice.

No comments: