Our Family

Our Family

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Sweet Potatoes and Dogs

Sweet potatoes and dogs? I know what you are thinking, they don't go together and you are right. This week, one night for dinner, I fixed baked sweet potatoes. The shell of the potato (what was left after we ate them) was in the trash. Well, this morning it was 27 degrees and we thought it was too cold for Abby to stay outside while we went to church. So we let her out to potty and thought she would be okay to stay inside. When we got home, she was good, she hadn't pottied anywhere. But when I walked into the den I saw part of a baked sweet potato on the floor. I was like "somebody has been in the trash". Last night before I went to bed I put a pile of clothes on the couch to fold before I went to bed. I moved them this morning to fold them and underneath the pile was a whole sweet potato. So she had gotten both sweet potatoes out of the trash. How it ended up under the clothes I don't know. I also don't know if she got them during the night or this morning while we were gone. Anyway, she had eaten part of one. We got home from church about 9:40, two hours later, I was sitting on the couch grading papers, when I hear and see Abby, throwing up. And guess what she was throwing up...sweet potatoes! I was like "oh gross Abby!" So I quickly got up to clean up the mess and believe me it was a gross and big mess. Then I realized that I didn't have anymore resolve, so I ran to Dollar General and got some resolve and came back to finish cleaning it up. Where was Kevin you ask? He was in the bed taking a nap, he never heard me making all the noise that I made, he didn't know I had left the house, nothing. I hope Abby has learned her lesson, that her stomach wasn't made to handle eating sweet potatoes. I have learned my lesson that the next time I fix them, to make sure she can't get to them.

1 comment:

Wanda said...

It is really a mess to clean up after a dog throws up. Been there - done that! However, they really don't learn a lesson from it. Been through it so many times! Sounds like you have a really sweet dog though. We use to have a poodle and would love to have another one. They are really a special breed.
Love to you both-Aunt Wanda