Our Family

Our Family

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

3rd Grade Funny

Despite that many days of teaching are spent where you can hardly remember what happened in the last 5 minutes, your name has been called at least 20 times by the same child, you never have enough time for a "decent" lesson, you stay stressed out and at the end of the day you realize you near even took time for a bathroom break because during your "planning time" you had to make copies, call parents, sit in on meetings, prepare things for what will come after your "planning time", and when you sit down after the kids leave, it was the first time you were able to sit all day and take a breath.....there are some funny moments. Last year I shared a few things that happened and I will try to again. Working with children, you just never know what they will do or say. I have two 3rd grade funnies to share that happened yesterday and today.

First Funny: Yesterday. One of my students had an early dismissal in the afternoon. So I told her that she had an early dismissal and she needed to get packed up. She continued to just sit and daydream. I came over to the child 3 different times telling her to get packed up, someone was waiting on her and she needed to go. She finally gets up to get her book bag. She comes back to her seat with her book bag...on her HEAD! Her whole head was inside her book bag and she was walking around with it on her head. (*Never have I seen this before.) So I come over to her to tell her to take the book bag off her head and get packed up. She finally gets everything packed up and goes to the door. She opens the door walks out and comes back in. She says "no one else is out here" (meaning there were no other children because she thought it was time for everyone to leave). I said "Yes I know, you have an early dismissal it's not time for everyone else to leave. And not joking or trying to be funny, this is my brightest child in my class and she is in the gifted program too! I was like oh my gosh! I couldn't get her for anything to understand the importance of hurrying up and leaving.

Second Funny: Today. One of my most demanding of my attention children, came up to me after lunch saying he had a cut in his mouth and it was hurting. I told him that I was sorry and the nurse had already gone home for the day (this was in the afternoon) and for him to have a seat. A few minutes later I look at him, and he has a band-aide trying to put it in his mouth to help "fix" his cut. (*Never have I seen that one before either) But in case you don't have kids or don't know, a band-aide can make anything "magically" better. I mean it, they think a band-aide could solve anything. Back to my story, I was like, no! A band-aide can't go in your mouth. Throw that away. I'm sorry you have a cut, but a band-aide isn't going to help.

Wow! and it's just Wednesday!

No comments: