Our Family

Our Family

Sunday, September 20, 2009

Hollywood Remembers

Everyday that are many actors/actress that die in Hollywood. Many are for careless reasons and reasons that that person could have of helped. Many of those that die, are what I would consider young, meaning in their 20's. I am not a person that keeps up with who is the newest "It" person in Hollywood or the latest gossip, but every now and then, there is a story or person I should say that catches your attention, and their death tugs at your heartstrings. The person that has caught my attention lately is Patrick Swayze. Most of you remember him and is probably the most famous for his role in "Dirty Dancing". I remember when that movie came out, I was about 6 years old ( and no I didn't see the movie then) but I remember my mom watching it. Her favorite part was the end when Patrick (Johnny) comes back and dances with Jennifer (Baby). Last night, ABC Family was showing the movie in honor and in celebration of Patrick Sawyze and his career in the entertainment buisness. After watching it, I be came curious about his life and started looking around on the computer for more information about him.

He was born in Houston, Texas. He met his wife at age 18 (Patrick) and she was 14, in his mom's dance studio. He was married to the same lady, Lisa Niemi for 34 years. June 12, 1975 (My parents were married July 26, 1975). (A rare thing, not just in Hollywood anymore). They lived on a ranch in Los Angeles, called "Rancho Bizarro." Everything I can find, seems that he was a really descent, good guy. The thing that really got my attention about him, was that he and his wife, never had children. They were never able to have them under their own power. His wife, had 2 miscarriages, but never a successful pregnancy. At age 53, he was considering adoption, but never went through with it. I don't know why, but here's a few quotes from him.

“I don’t know what the key to a 30-year marriage is. I suppose it’s about keeping love alive, learning how to fall in love over and over again, not taking each other for granted, forgiveness, trust. Whatever it is, it works for us.”

I was born to be a dad and we have the perfect life for kids," he says, wistfully.
"We are still thinking of adopting, but you have to consider the child and not yourself. Living on a ranch teaches you a great deal about the cycle of life and, if you adopt a child, you have to be certain it is for the right reason."

"That's one thing I'm not gonna do, is chase, is chase staying alive. I'm not, you know, you'll spend so much time chasing staying alive you won't live, you know? I wanna live." ( thought this was a true and powerful quote from him).

I guess, I just find it sad that it seems like both him and his wife wanted children of their own very much. I don't know why they waited so late and now it's too late. He was a very talented. He even sang the song " She's like the Wind" from in the movie "Dirty Dancing" It's sad how quickly he went down and changed. (1952-2009)


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The movie "Dirty Dancing" was filmed at Lake Lure where we have our place in the mountains. He has always been one of my favorite actors. What a guy!

Love you - Aunt Wanda