Our Family

Our Family

Sunday, December 13, 2009

Expect the Unexpected

This morning Lee started a series at church and I wanted to share with you what he preached on this morning. It was something that I was able to really identify with and I have a feeling that some of you will be able to as well.

*Luke 1:26-38

-When God shows up unexpected there's fear, overwhelmed, and anxiety. (Been there before?)

-The unexpected scares you. "Mary was greatly troubled at his words and wondered what kind of greeting this might be" -Luke 1:29

-What unexpected assignment has God given you that has scared you?
-sharing the gospel with a friend
-giving when it doesn't seem like you have enough to give
-a career transition
-foreign mission field

-Expect the unexpected with God and do not be afraid...
"For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government and peace there will be no end. He will reign on David's throne and over his kingdom, establishing and upholding it with justice and righteousness from that time on and forever". -Isaiah 9:6-7

-The unexpected overwhelms you "How will this be," Mary asked the angel, "since I am a virgin?" Luke 1:34

-The unexpected sometimes leaves you with a sense of inadequacy and impossibility.

-It's not what you believe, but Who you believe in that makes it happen.

-The unexpected moves you to action. "I am the Lord's servant," Mary answered. "May it be to me as you have said." Then the angel left her. Luke 1:38

"Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

As humans, we like to be the one in control. I like to be in control. I am the person in control in my classroom and when things start to get out of control, I get overwhelmed and do what I can to get the control back. Just the same as in my life outside of school. I like to have a plan for everything and for things to go in order, step by step. But being a teacher we have to learn how to be flexible and to expect the unexpected, just like in other areas of my life. Something Lee said this morning was "that when something unexpectedly happens to you, it wasn't a surprise to God, He planned it". He will calm our fears during a time of anxiousness and uncertainty. He is above all and will help us through whatever unexpected task or challenge that is thrown our way. We just have to remember to have faith in Him. He is never out of control and will control whatever is going on in our lives. It's hard not to worry or stress when life gets off track or when you are unsure as to what the future will hold; whether is the short future or distance future. We have to remember to pray for God's help in remembering that He will take of it and will take care of us. My past experience is that God always shows up and shows out unexpectedly and it always ends up being far better than I could have imgaine.

"For nothing is impossible with God." Luke 1:38

No comments: