Our Family

Our Family

Thursday, December 10, 2009

And you wonder why I'm crazy?!

Wednesday was a whirlwind of a day for me at school. It all began.......

8:30 am-During math, my students were working in groups comparing kilograms to pounds. One group had 2 boys and 2 girls. Boy 1 got made at boy 2 because boy 2 had knocked the weights off the scale. So boy 2 told boy 1 to do it himself. Boy 1 started throwing weights at boy 2. So boy 2 started pushing boy 1 and they kept going back and forth until I saw what was going on. I questioned both boys and sent them to the office. I questioned my girls to find out what had gone on. Both boys stayed in the office for about 40 minutes, then returned.

9:15 am-In the mean time, boy 3 and a girl were getting into a fuse, and the girl was in tears (this had been going on for awhile with these two) so I sent the girl to the guidance counselor to talk it out.

9:30 am- Boy 2 asks if he can go to the bathroom. Yes, I say. He returns, then my phone rings. It's a first grade teacher, telling me that boy 2 was in the bathroom throwing wet toilet paper up onto the ceiling (which for those that don't know, it sticks and stays on the ceiling, doesn't come back down). She told me that she told boy 2 she was going to call me and call Mrs. Selvey (the principal). So I question boy 2 about what happened in the bathroom and informed boy 2 that he had not gotten off to a good start to the day.

9:30-11:40 am- continue to have problems with boy 2 and with a few other students having to constantly remind them to sit correctly in their seat, stop talking while I was teaching, stop chasing one another around the classroom, do their work, stop playing around....etc, etc, etc.

11:40 am- boy 3 comes back to me from resource. He tells me that boy 4 needs to come with him to the resource room to get his ring back that boy 3 had stolen from him. (boy 4 wasn't at school on Tuesday and boy 3 find a ring of his and took it and put it in his book bag, without me knowing). So, off both boys go.

11:50 am- boy 1and boy 5 get into a fight at recess. Both boys are hitting one another, punching each other, boy 5 body slams boy 1 onto the ground (mind you, it had rained that morning, so they are on wet sand), then both boys are rolling around on the ground fighting. So, I, along with another 3rd grade teacher, go running over to them. They stop when we get there. I walk both boys to the office, asking them "what in the world were you thinking?" and asking for them to inform me of what started this fight. Boy 5 tells me that boy 1 was messing with him and wouldn't stop, so he hit him. Boy 1 said he didn't do anything or say anything. (boy 1 never starts it or does anything, but always seems to be guilty...hmmm....) I told them I was very disappointed in them and that I was not at all happy with them.

12:15 pm- Lunch: realize that boy 3 never came back from the resource teacher but boy 4 did. I ask boy 4 what happened, and he said that boy 3 got into trouble with the resource teacher. So I sent boy 4 to get boy 3 for lunch. He comes back and tells me that boy 3 is in the hallway with the resource teacher. I go out there and the resource teacher tells me that she's taking him to the office, because he stole the other boy's ring, was playing with it during her class. She didn't tell boy 3 to come get boy 4, so he lied to me as well, boy 3 came to get boy 4 because he wanted him to get into trouble because he threatened boy 3 because he stole his ring.

12:20 pm- Lunch: I have to get onto boy 2 about playing fighting at the lunch table. Tell him to stop and he continues, so he gets moved to a new spot.

12:30 pm- Lunch, leaving lunch and Mrs. McCormick didn't get to eat lunch.

1:00 pm-lining up to go to library, I have to get onto boy 2 again, this time I tell boy 2 that I'm calling his daddy. I take the kids to library, and boy 2 and I go to call his dad. Left a message. Send boy 2 back to the library. A few minutes later, boy 2's dad calls, I inform boy 2's dad what had happened that day (the dad works at the high school and is a football coach). Dad informs me that he will be over there in 20 minutes. Dad comes and gets boy 2 and they go to the parking lot to "talk", then dad brings him back.

1:45 pm- In the office, with my two other boys, and boy 5 asks me if they are going to get a write up. I say yes, I just haven't had the chance to write one yet. So, I start to fill it out for both boys.

2:00 pm- Pick up class from library (had planned on eating lunch during this time, but didn't get the chance)

2:30 pm- Mrs. Selvey calls the students that got a write up to the office everyday at this time to deliver their punishment. She calls " Boy 1, Boy 2, Boy 3, Boy 5, and boy that isn't in my class". So, 4 out of 5 of the write ups for Wednesday came from my class. The other boy was a third grader in a different class.

2:45 pm- Kids leave, thank the Lord! Results....
-Boy 1: 3 days suspended due to it was his third write up for fighting, so he will be back on Tuesday.

-Boy 2: 2 days of after school detention, Thursday and Monday, cleaning bathrooms.

-Boy 3: 2 days suspended for minor theft charge.

-Boy 5: 2 days suspended for fighting.

3:00 pm-Mrs. McCormick gets to enjoy her lunch, sit down, and listen to sounds of an empty classroom.

TODAY......
Today was a very enjoyable day and probably the first day in a very long time that I actually enjoyed being at school and teaching. A very pleasant day. And tomorrow will be the same. Monday won't be too bad with boy 1 still out. But then, Tuesday....trying to hold down the fort until Friday. Also, Friday being a half day and Christmas program and class party, boy 1, 3,5 have lost the chance to go to the program and party and boy 2 the program. I have 6 days left of this madness! Thankfully I have 2 days off before it begins again.

No comments: