Our Family

Our Family

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Lightning Struck!

Yesterday afternoon, we had a horrible thunderstorm hit us. We needed the rain very badly, but all the thunder and lightning, especially the lightning, we could do without. About 2:30 yesterday, I started to hear the rumble of thunder and I checked outside and it looked dark over town, and I wondered if we would get it. I checked the weather and it said only 50% chance, but the radar showed that it was coming our way. In the next 30 minutes it started raining, thundering, and lightning. The lightning was popping like crazy. I was sitting in the floor with Madalyn and Abby, trying to stay away from the windows. (I'm not crazy about storms in the first place, and I have great respect for lightning.) Madalyn started to get fussy and I got up to change her diaper. Before I could get to her room, this flash of orange lit up my house and then there was the loudest pop of lightning I have ever heard. I screamed and ran into my bedroom. I sat on the floor in between our bed and the wall, the only place in our house besides the closest that doesn't have windows. Madalyn was crying, I was crying, Abby was sitting in between my legs, and she was shaking. We were all scared to death. I kept on petting Abby saying, it's ok Abby, it's ok; praying that it would be. The lightning continued to pop and just wicked stuff. This lasted for 1 solid hour. Then it was another hour before the thunder and lightning finally went away completely. We found out that the lightning got our microwave-so off to Lowe's or Home Depot tonight to look for a new microwave. It got Madalyn's swing-didn't think to unplug that during the storm. We are going to see if it will work with just batteries, but I have my doubts. And my alarm clock is gone. I got it when I was a Senior in high school or just going into college, but that's no big deal. And the alarm clock in our guest bedroom is gone; again no big deal. And thankfully nothing worse than that. We just hope over the next few days or weeks that nothing else goes out. Kevin called our insurance man this morning to let him know what happened. I tell you, I have never experienced something like that before, so thankfully all 3 of us are safe, and I hope not to go through that again, I was so scared. Thankfully too, the house didn't catch on fire or a tree fall on the house, that was my other worry during the storm, me having to get all of us out of the house and safely with the lightning still going on. God kept us safe; praise Him!

No comments: