Our Family

Our Family

Thursday, June 3, 2010

A Charleston Weekend

For Memorial Day weekend, we were in Charleston with my parents. The main reason that brought us to Charleston, was a cousin of mine was getting married at the Citadel. My mom and his mom are very close and we all wanted to go. At first, my parents were just going to drive down to my house then drive over to Charleston for the wedding, then come back. (We are 2 hours from Charleston), but my mom decided that that would be too much, and thought it would be best to make a weekend out of it. I am very glad we did. Here is our weekend: A true Charleston experience...

First Stop: Magnolia Gardens and Plantation

The last time I visited Magnolia, I was about 13 years old. It was very neat to me, having taught South Carolina history-which so much of it revolves around Charleston-I really enjoyed it. I have to say that my favorite part about the trip there, was seeing 2 white peacocks. They were breath taking! I took so many pictures, it's hard to pick my favorites.



The second picture below reminds me of a bride.

This is the 3rd house that has built for the Dreyton family. They considered this their "hunting lodge".



Japanese Beetle


Had this gator made a sudden move, I do believe I would have of run away screaming.


The blue peacock is just as breath taking at the white ones. The color of blue is so vivid. God is an amazing creator. The colors on this bird are just amazing.






Second Stop: Our Hotel (Spring Hill Suites) and Downtown Charleston


We couldn't check into our hotel room until about 4:00 that afternoon. So, we spent the day at Magnolia, then Sunday morning we walked around Charleston.


OUR ROOM

We had a great view of the marina.





Sunday: A stroll around Charleston



Third Stop: Visiting with Friends

My childhood best friend, Rhett, lives in Charleston with his wife Jodi, and their daughter (Addison Grace Harter aka "Addi"). Addi was born in December and is 5 months. I saw Jodi back in October at her baby shower, but I had not seen Rhett since Kevin and I got married. And of course we had not meet Addi yet. She is precious! Seems to be a very good natured, easy going baby. And of course Kevin and Addi became friends right away.







Fourth Stop: A Citadel Wedding

I have never been to the Citadel before or a Citadel wedding. My cousin, Ben graduated from the Citadel about 5 or so years ago. He married Heather, and they will be living in Greenville when they return from their honeymoon. They had a trolley to pick everyone up and bring them back and forth from the chapel, reception, and hotel.






Next Stop....The Citadel Chapel


The picture where both are turned around...it's tradition for the last guard to smack the bride on the behind with the sword.


Our final stop...the most elaborate wedding reception I have yet to attend. You cannot get any better than the atmosphere that they had at their reception. True southern charm and elegance.






They cute the cake with his sword; I guess that's another Citadel tradition.



































































































































































































































































































































No comments: