Our Family

Our Family

Sunday, August 30, 2009

Sunday

I can't remember if have mentioned it or not, but at our church were are currently looking for a new pastor. Our pastor, Stephen Burnette, felt God calling him to a different church after 11 years at Barnwell. To take his place, the youth minister, Lee Clamp, is our interim pastor. (We think he may be taking the place of the actual pastor here shortly). I have known Lee for several years now, in fact about 8-9 years. I do not know him on a real personal level, but I did a Disciple Now weekend with him and his mom Mrs. Clamp is the district person for Williston, where I teach. I have always enjoyed listening to Lee. He has brought a breath of fresh air to the church this summer. He has such a passion for the Lord and challenges us to do the same. I just had to share what he preached about this morning.

Before I begin, this summer I went home by myself twice to visit my family. (It was during the week so Kevin couldn't come). The second time, I was running around doing some errands and I was stopped at this light. (Now, as you are aware, the "newest" thing is to have your car show your personality (like with the some version of the palmetto tree or inital stickers). People have all different types of stickers, etc. to make their car "their own". The car in front of me had this bumper sticker that I read it, then had to read it again and it has just stuck with me. It said
"We Must Be The Change We Wish To See In The World". I thought about it, and I was like, yes, we have to change first, before we can expect other people to or before the world will. I felt like this went along with what Lee spoke about this morning.

"A Changed Life" -Acts 2:14-41

Lee began talking about if people knew you before you were saved and before you were changed, then they can see a difference (at least you hope they can.) Once you have committed your life to Jesus, there is a change, in everything you say, do, and think. You are a new creation and a new person. I feel like that at times we only focus on what Jesus did for us on the cross just at Easter time. We need to be constantly reminded of it but even then we have come so complance to it, that it doesn't have an affect on us anymore. One of Lee's points this morning was "The RESURRECTION separates Jesus from the pack. Meaning all other leaders or starters of every other "religion" has died and is still dead and is still in the ground. Only Jesus died, was buried and on the 3rd day arose. There was a verse this morning that I had never heard before. (and yes I am sure there are many, but I know I had never had this one brought to my attention.)

"And if Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile; you are still in your sins. Then those also who have fallen asleep( meaing death) in Christ are lost. If only for this life we have hope in Christ, we are to be pitied more than all men. " ~ 1 Corinthians 15:17-19

Meaning that, had Christ not been raised from the dead, our faith would be in vain. We have not been cleansed from our sins. Our faith would be just like all those others. Jesus knew the person each one of us would turn out to be, He knew the sin we would commit, and He knew that He would be sent to the cross to pay our debt, yet He still created us. Wow! I know I couldn't be that forgiving.

The next point was that "The RESURRECTION reveals the need for repentance. Romans 6:23
Most of us never call out to God unless we are in the mist of something that we feel like we are drowning in sin or in trouble. Lee used the example of a life jacket. We don't wear a life jacket unless we are on a boat and are in danger of the boat going down or it we think we might me in danger. Some of us, only "wear" God when we need Him. We need Him every day. I couldn't do my job as a teacher without Him. When I was deciding on my major, there was an afternoon my sophomore year that I was alone in my dorm room and I was on my knees praying for direction in my major. I felt like it was education, but I prayed if that was it, that I knew I couldn't do it by myself and I asked God to help me. Every morning on my way to school and at night I pray for my students and myself that I will be about to teach them to the best that I can. We need Him not just when we are drowning, but when we are still standing on the shore. "For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing (those that don't think their sin is that bad and those that don't think they need Jesus) but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.)
1 Corinthians 1:18

And the third point was that the RESURRECTION gives us HOPE. Knowing that Jesus did rise on that third day, is the reason we have hope of eternal life in Heaven with Him. Lee said "God doesn't want you to simply change your behavior, but to change your boss." You can "pretend" that you have changed or you can "act" a certain way around people, but unless your heart has been changed to where you listen to Jesus and try every day to be more and more like Him, you will fall. But He will pick up back up if you repent and realize you need Him and He needs to be Lord of your life. Only you and God know the "true" state of your heart. Thank Him today for loving you know matter how often you forget Him and bring shame to His name. If you know that you have never accepted Him as your Lord and Savior, don't wait until you are in need of a "life jacket" do it before you get on the next boat. There may only be one "life jacket" on board and you may be too late.

No comments: