Our Family

Our Family

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Snow Day #2

Well, this is snow day #2. I have now had five days off. I was off Friday to take the glucose test then with the weekend and we were off yesterday and now today, it's been a nice break. So last night we lost power for about 10 minutes. I was in the middle of cooking a chicken pot pie in the oven when it went off. So I went ahead and kept it in the oven, hoping there would be enough heat to still cook it. Thankfully, after 10 minutes the power came back on. We have a fire place so I wasn't worried about heating the house, but the concern was the refrigerator and freezer and the things in there going without power. Then about 6:00 last night I got the call that school was closed again today. When I woke up this morning, nothing had melted much. Kevin said that the roads were not bad at all, but he figured the back roads would still be iced over.

Kevin came home for lunch and then I asked me to take me outside. I have been in the house since early Sunday afternoon and I wanted to get outside and walk around a little to see everything. Kevin gave me a pair of snow boots for Christmas and I told him this was the second time I had to use my boots and I haven't gotten to use them yet. So he cleared a path on the front porch and helped me walk down the stairs. (He didn't want me to fall and give Madalyn a flat head; so he said). It's not as pretty as everything being covered in snow, but still pretty. We have never had icicles on the house before, and everything was covered in ice and had icicles hanging off. I got a few pictures and then Kevin had to go back to work, so Abby and I had to go back inside. This was at lunch time, but now it's 3:00 and everything is melting fast off the grass and roads. I know we will go to school tomorrow. We could have a delay, but I'm not counting on it. The good thing is that Friday is a teacher workday and we also get Monday off for MLK Holiday. Also, this was my week to have early morning duty, so I will only have to do if for 2 days instead of 4; not too bad. I wonder if they will make us teach Friday due to missing two days of school. If not, I wonder if we will have to make it up either take time away from spring break or add days to the end of the school year. Oh, well, we can worry about that later. And it may not even effect me, my Sub might have to make up the time. Oh, well I have enjoyed my second "snow" day.

Check out the back porch.

Look at all those icicles.


My dad sent me some pictures of their yard. They got 8 inches of snow and a layer of sleet and ice on top. My parents say the snow is just like powder. They haven't gotten that much snow since like 1988. So unfair that we didn't get that down here. But at least I got to see some of the snow like that on Christmas Day; even though that was only 2 inches.

Look at how tall the snow is on the birdbath. The night picture was taken out their front door looking at the front yard and the neighbor's house across the street.


You really can't even see where the yard should be; the lines have disappeared.

































No comments: