Our Family

Our Family

Sunday, June 16, 2013

Mothers and Fathers

Yes, I know my post is late, but I never posted about Mother's Day and I haven't said anything yet about Father's Day so I thought I would write about both in one.  Sorry no pictures with this post just my heart in words.

Mother's Day Recap:
My parents came down for the weekend and we had a very nice week just spending time together.  I have had so many awesome women that have played important roles in my life, but none are more important or special than my mom.  I truly have the best mom ever! Even at almost 32 years old, I don't go one day without either talking to my mom or texting her.  She has sent the greatest example of the loving sacrifices that a mom makes for her child and her family.  She has always been my rock and cheerleader.  I only hope I can live up to her example in my journey as a mom to Madalyn.  Thank you Lord for blessing me with a mom who put me and her family the center of attention and not herself.  There has never been a time to pass that I ever wondered if my mom loved me or was proud of me.  I love you!

Being a mom was one of my greatest desires and something that I don't take lightly, because there was a time when I didn't know if I would receive this blessing.  With each passing day I love Madalyn more and more.  It's hard being mom...it takes lots of patience and love.  There are so many decisions and things that fall onto your shoulders.  There are so many outside influences that can easily take your attention away from your child and stress you out.  My job being the main outside influence, because with my job I have to be a "mom" to 21 kids and then come home to my own.  So many days when I would get home from school, I didn't have any energy left to play with Madalyn and didn't feel like getting up from my chair, but was able to because of that sweet voice saying "come on mama".  I have felt guilty on so many accounts that I'm not being a good enough mom to Madalyn because I always feel that I can do better and give more to her (and by that I don't mean material things, but things like playing with her, reading books, just spending time with her).  I always give 100 % of myself to everything and I except a lot out of myself and at times feel that sometimes I may fall short with Madalyn or Kevin.  I put a lot of pressure on myself to be a good mom and I pray that God will give me the wisdom, strength, and love to be one.  Thank you Lord for giving me this precious gift  and this gift of "motherhood" and for loving me when I feel like I have fallen short and for giving me encouragement and second chances.

Father's Day Recap:
Today it was just the 3 of us...I will see my parents on Tuesday of this weekend, they are coming down and Kevin's family is at the beach so we saw them before they left.  We had a very nice day, we went to church and then I cooked Kevin's favorite meal and a special surprise for dessert (homemade strawberry cake).  Madalyn and I enjoyed our "nap" time while Kevin had to end of running back and back to the chicken houses, etc.  Two of the chicken houses leave out tomorrow, so it will be a very busy and long day tomorrow and Tuesday for Kevin.  Last year when he cleaned out, the last catch crew for the chickens started at ten o'clock that night and didn't finish until 6 o'clock the next morning.  We enjoyed some time outside this evening, of course playing in the sandbox.  I am so thankful for Kevin being such as wonderful dad to Madalyn.  She gets so excited when he comes home from work and practically tackles him when he comes in the door and starts begging him to come play with her.  She loves her Daddy and he loves his baby girl.  He has shared in dance parties with her, tea parties, etc.  She has him wrapped around her little finger and has since the day she was born.  Thank you Lord for giving Madalyn a Dad who loves her and puts you first in his life, and is teaching our little girl about loving you.

Once again there are so many men that have played important roles in my life, but my Dad has been the most important.  Being a teacher, I realize more and more how special and important Dads are in children's lives and of course in the life of my own child.  I am so thankful for my Dad.  He use to work for BellSouth (which AT&T took over when he retired) and like Kevin it's lots of long days, weekends, even holidays that you have to work.  He always made time for me and encouraged me in anyway he could.  He has always strived to make my life more enriched and a better than the life he had growing up (not saying his childhood was bad, he has just wanted to make mine better.  Which I think as parents we all do, we want to make our child or children's lives better).  He always put me and my mom before his own needs.  He set the example for me of how a man should treat his wife and children and many of his qualities is what I looked for when I was choosing guys to date and then ultimately the guy I married.  I couldn't have asked for a better Dad than the one I had.  Thank you Lord for blessing me with such a loving and caring Dad, one who wanted his child and family to succeed more than himself.  I love you!

To my Lord and Savior:
Happy Father's Day!  Thank you so much for loving me and giving me the greatest gift of all, your Son to die in my place to save me from myself and my sins.  Thank you for your constant reminder and encouragement of how much you love me.  Thank you for so many second and third chances, when I fall short of loving you and doing what you ask me to do. This summer I am in a Bible Study called "Crazy Love" by Francis Chan.  We have only covered the first chapter, but in the first chapter it talks about how we come before God and just lay our prayer requests or "wish list" in front of God and then move on with our lives.  It talks about when you pray, you are coming into the presence of the Lord of the universe and to focus for a time on His glory and splendor.  I mean, He created the universe how can we not praise Him and be in awe of Him?  The point of this Bible Study is to fall in love deeply with our Lord and to come to a better understanding of who He is and what He wants from us.  Thank you Lord for creating families and for blessing me with wonderful parents and a special little family that I have of my own.  I love you!

No comments: