Our Family

Our Family

Saturday, February 21, 2009

What color are you?

I teach 3rd grade. I am in my fourth year of teaching, but all my life I have been around little kids and you just never know what they are going to come up with. Those that don't know the school that I am in you have two kinds of students they are either white or African American. And of course you do have those that are mixed. When I was at Brushy Creek I had students from every different race background that you can think of. Anyway, the question "what color are you?" was asked by a little boy in my class to me at the beginning of the school year and this question is still coming up every now and then. The little boy came up to me and asked me what color are you? I said what do you mean? He said, I am brown see? and he held out his arm to show me. I said I am white. He said you don't look white. I said well I tan really easy. Off and on throughout the school year, the kids have had this discussion. They think I am mixed. (I know I laughed so hard at that). They will argue that I am tan, I am not considered a true "white" person. Well, this past week, that same ole question came up again. One of my girls asked me at the lunch table if I was mixed. (now I have said over and over again that I am white but I can tan easy and I have even shown them a picture of my parents). And of one of my boys spoke up and said she's not mixed, she's tan. I said right. Then the same little girl said, "so 2 w's?". I said yes, 2 w's. (Meaning 2 white parents). I don't know why it is so hard for them to believe me. I know that when I first started the school year, I was very tan, but I always am after a summer. But they still ask me if I am mix. I find it rather amusing. But Kevin has always joked that I was Snow Tan not Snow White and has said that people might think he was married to an African American during the summer time. To which I reply, I don't get near as dark as some of my family can. But go figure! You just never know what kids will come up with next.

No comments: